I am a third generation Entrepreneur, Rotarian, Waterfed proponent and manufacturer, resident of Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA... I am a husband, father, brother, son, neighbor, Realtor® and Property Manager who resides in the Indian Creek Hills subdivision of our community. We are part of the Cedar Rapids community: Live, Work, Learn and Play. We are interested in networking, friendship, business, service and sport. Welcome to my blog and personal journal ...

Sunday, June 28, 2009

The University of Iowa athletics takes a serious approach against alcohol-related problems ...


The Gazette reported in an on-line article dated June 26, 2009 titled Iowa officials: Alcohol arrests not epidemic
IOWA CITY — University of Iowa athletics department officials are concerned but...

The Gazette article pointed out the following...

Department penalties rank among the nation’s most stringent, Mims said. An
athlete receiving a ticket for underage possession of alcohol must perform six
to eight hours of alcohol education designed by the school’s social services
program consultant, Marvin Sims. A second possession ticket or a first-offense
alcohol arrest results in a first strike in a three-strike program. A first
strike means the student-athlete must complete an alcohol education program, be
put on notice and perform 20 hours of community service. A second strike means
automatic suspension pending a full alcoholism assessment and 30 hours of
community service. -
The Gazette
The University of Iowa has a reputation as a party school. Whether it be the Princeton Review or Playboy, the U of I is known for its social attributes.

My sister and brother attended the University of Iowa. My wife, Carole, attended Summer School at the University of Iowa, while she was finishing up at Coe College. I was headed to the University of Iowa, until I decided to check out Creighton University. So, I am a Creighton graduate; and U of I football fan and ticket holder, since I started attending games back in 1974.

Robin Tucker

No comments: